“Roses are red, violets are blue…” but roses come in other
colors too. Who doesn’t love getting roses, or growing them? I certainly do, as
do many of us here at Gardening
Know How. Since Valentine’s Day is just right around the corner, what
better way to express your feelings than giving the gift of rose flowers.
Red roses are classic expressions of love and romance, and a
bouquet of red roses is the most popular choice for Valentine’s Day. But did
you know that there are many different rose color meanings? With all those
color options, why stick with red? Offer your loved one something different
using this handy rose color guide.
What Do Different Rose Colors Mean?
are among the most popular of all cut flowers, for good reason. These are
gorgeous flowers that smell intoxicating and come in a huge range of colors. When
gifting roses, be sure you understand the message you’re sending with them by
becoming familiar with common rose color meanings. So what do different rose
- Red. The classic, deep red rose is a symbol of love, romance, and beauty. Only send these flowers to someone very special.
- Yellow. Believe it or not, there was a time when a yellow rose meant jealousy. Today, this sunny flower is a symbol of friendship.
- Pink. Send pink roses to someone you admire, who is graceful and elegant. Darker shades of pink also mean gratitude and appreciation. Your mother would probably love to get these.
- White. A white rose is a symbol of purity and innocence, a great choice for a child’s birthday.
- Orange. Orange roses are for passion, energy, and enthusiasm. Pick orange blooms to show your spouse your relationship is still passionate.
- Lavender. Shades of purple symbolize royalty, but in roses they also mean enchantment and love at first sight.
- Green. Unusual green roses mean growth, new life, and rejuvenation. A bouquet of these is perfect for someone who is going through a difficult life change.
- Burgundy. These deep, dark roses symbolize unconscious beauty. What a great way to tell someone you like them.
- Cream. Off-white roses mean charm and thoughtfulness. Present these as a thank you gift.
- Peach. Peach blooms also make a great thank you. This color means gratitude and sincerity in the language of roses.
The meaning of rose colors helps you tell a story. Use roses
to send a message to your partners, spouse, friends, and others.