To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
The way to keep your lawn healthy, lush, and green is no secret — but it can be a challenge. Homeowners seeking a gorgeous lawn may know what it takes, from weed and pest control to aerating and overseeding. But they may not have the time, experience, or equipment.
Luckily, they don’t have to. Professional lawn care companies can handle all of that with expertise. These companies can save you time and stress when it comes to getting the green lawn you want. But with so many companies, which one should you hire?
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care is a family-owned-and-operated lawn care company servicing homeowners in North Carolina. If you’re considering hiring this company, you may find this Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care review helpful. After all, no one wants to purchase a plan from a company that doesn’t fit their needs.
After extensive research, we’ve found that the ultimate lawn care service provider for North Carolinians is TruGreen. TruGreen is a comprehensive lawn care company offering services and plans across the country.
In this article
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care Plans
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care offers a wide array of services to ensure the health of your yard. Let’s take a look at the a la carte lawn care services Real Green currently offers.
- Fescue seeding — Fescues are a common grass type in North Carolina. Varieties like tall fescue do remarkably well and can stay green year-round when seeded at the correct time and maintained properly throughout the year. Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care offers fescue seeding plans to keep your grass looking lush.
- Fertilizer treatment — Fertilizer adds the micronutrients and macronutrients to the soil that your plants need to be healthy. Applying the proper amounts and ratios is critical to the well-being of your lawn.
- Pre-emergent treatment — Pre-emergent herbicides are used to prevent weeds from becoming established in the first place. They work by creating a chemical barrier in the soil to kill weeds as they emerge.
- Broadleaf weed control — Broadleaf weeds can sometimes be controlled with hand pulling if the soil is wet enough and the weeds are not too thick, but herbicides are often the more practical choice. They can be used safely and effectively as long as the applicator is knowledgeable and follows label instructions.
- Disease control — Plant diseases are not uncommon in well-maintained yards, but treating them can often be complicated. Lawn care professionals know how to diagnose plant diseases and recommend the most effective treatments to keep them under control.
- Aeration — Aeration involves breaking through a lawn’s thick thatch layer to allow for better movement of nutrients, water, and air into the soil. Aeration of a lawn can be a big undertaking, but it is an important part of maintaining a healthy lawn.
- Seeding — Seeding is an important process that involves preparing the soil, mixing and applying the correct combination of seeds and then maintaining it throughout the year for optimal growth.
- Mosquito control — Mosquitoes are nearly unavoidable in the hot, humid south. Fortunately, there are lots of ways to reduce the number of mosquitoes in your yard. Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care offers a targeted insecticide treatment to control mosquitoes so you can enjoy your time outside, along with a satisfaction guarantee.
- Grub control treatment — Grubs are a group of lawn pests that disturb a lawn’s soil and roots. Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care offers pesticide applications in April and August to prevent serious damage.
- Fire ant treatment — Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care uses a professional-strength insecticide to target and remove fire ants from your lawn. The company stands so strongly by its product that it offers a one-year guarantee or your money back.
- Shrub care — Mulching and pruning services are available for shrubs, letting you cross one more thing off your lawn care to-do list with ease.
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care Cost
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care knows that lawn care needs are highly variable. That’s why it offers a free lawn analysis and price quote for every new customer so your Real Green technician can learn the in’s and out’s of your property and make an affordable recommendation. Some of the factors that may affect the price you pay include:
- Property size — The bigger your property, the more time, energy, and money will be needed to care for it.
- Lawn’s condition — A healthy lawn should not cost much to maintain, but one that has been under-cared for may require much more intensive services.
- Frequency of care — Lawn care schedules typically range from bi-weekly to monthly, and each option has its own pros and cons. The more frequently your lawn needs to be treated, the more you’ll pay for service.
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care Availability
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care is a smaller company, and only offers services in select parts of North Carolina. You can schedule services from Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care in the following areas:
- Holly Springs
While this may mean your property falls outside of the service area, the smaller geographic range means the company can provide tailored care based on the local needs of the area. If you do live within the area and you want to keep your money local, Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care’s limited service area may be an asset.
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care Reviews
Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and doesn’t maintain a profile on the site. However, the company maintains an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on its Google Review page. Let’s take a look at what a few previous customers had to say about the service they received from Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care. While most reviews are positive, the negative reviews come from considerably concerned customers. All ratings are as of March 2020.
“We’ve been really happy with their services. They were super responsive and got right to work – You don’t even have to be there for the initial estimate or further treatments. We bought our house a couple years ago and have some sort of warm season grass. It was looking pretty rough at times when the clovers would pop up and flower. The treatment has made a HUGE difference in that, and it looked way better over this summer/spring compared to last year when we didn’t do anything. I also think it’s reasonably priced, and easy to pay online. No complaints!” — Sarah B., 5 stars, Google Reviews, November 2019
“Terrible service!!!! Our yard always has weeds even after a year of using this service. My yard is a brand new yard with sod and it looks horrible after using this service. Definitely don’t recommend this service to anyone.” — Shawn Grubb, 1 star, Google Reviews, March 2017
Is Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care Worth It?
Overall, Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care offers a range of services in a limited geographic area. We’ve created a table below to compare some of the pros and cons and help you determine if this is the right company for you.
|Wide range of a la carte services — From aeration to grub control, Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care offers nearly every service you might need.||Limited service area — If you live outside of North Carolina, you’ll need to choose another lawn care company.|
|Family-owned-and-operated business — If keeping your money local is important, Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care might be right for you. The company has an intimate understanding of the local climate and soil needs.||No plan pricing available — Though Real Green offers a wide variety of a la carte lawn services, it doesn’t offer the convenience of year-round or seasonal plan pricing.|
|100% guarantee on mosquito services — Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on its mosquito control services.||Not BBB-accredited — Real Green currently isn’t currently accredited with the BBB.|
So, should you hire Real Green Lawn & Shrub Care to tackle your lawn maintenance needs this season? While Real Green might be an excellent lawn care choice for North Carolina residents, we ultimately recommend TruGreen for homeowners across the country. A nationwide lawn care service provider with locations everywhere but Hawaii and Alaska, TruGreen makes it easy to keep your lawn looking great with a variety of plan options.
You can find the breakdown of TruGreen’s comprehensive plans below:
|Healthy Lawn Analysis||Healthy Lawn Guarantee®||Weed Control||Aeration||Fertilization||Lime||Trees & Shrubs||Visits per Year|
|TruSignature℠ Lawn Care Plan||✔||✔||✔||1 visit||✔||✔||✔||8|
|TruComplete℠ Lawn Care Plan||✔||✔||✔||1 visit||✔||✔||8|
|TruHealth℠ Lawn Care Plan||✔||✔||✔||✔||8|
|TruMaintenance℠ Lawn Care Plan||✔||✔||✔||1 visit||✔||7|
|TruNatural℠ Lawn Care Plan||✔||✔||✔*||✔*||8|